Tuesday, March 30, 2010

WWI Short Story

Finally completed a WWI story. Called Sons of Flanders, coming in at 7000 words. It's a murder mystery/historical drama that takes place in the trenches during the Battle of Passchendaele, also known as the 3rd Battle of Ypres. A few books were real instrumental in my research, including primary sources Some Desperate Glory by Edwin Campion Vaughan, The Winding Road Unfolds by T.S. Hope, and Somme Harvest by Giles E.M. Eyre, as well as Leon Wolff's much lauded secondary account In Flanders Fields. Another useful book for research on Langemarck, an ancillary battle of 3rd Ypres, was VCs of The First World War: Passchendaele by Stephen Snelling. World War One continues to fascinate me, and with only three survivors of the conflict remaining, it is perilously close to falling out of living memory.
The next WWI story I would like to write will take place at Gallipoli, and feature Albert Jacka as a secondary character. The only problem is, Jacka is an Australian national hero, comparable with Audie Murphy here in the states, so I'd have to represent him historically as well as faithfully. I'll only write the story, if I know I can do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment